Daily : March 7, 2017
Question: 4th Annual Devolution Conference is being held from 06th to 09th March, 2017 In which of the following countries?
(c) West Indies
Related Fact :
- 4th Annual Devolution Conference is being held from 06th to 09th March, 2017 at Nakuru County of Kenya.
- The theme of the conference is: Devolution- Transforming Lives: Tell your story!
Objective of the Conference:
- The overall objective of the conference will be to safeguard the gains, enhance the understanding and appreciation of devolution as a system of governance that focuses on public accountability and learning new ways of socio-economic development and delivering services. The conference has the following objectives:
- To review the socio-economic impact of devolution over the past four years.
- To discuss how devolution has been a tool for socio-economic integration in the country in promoting equity and inclusivity.
- To demonstrate the achievements in adopting the “Big Bang” Devolution implementation approach over the past four years.
- To identify opportunities for change, growth and enhanced cooperation in changing perspectives, changing the narrative and entrenching devolution in Kenya.
- Review the financial burden in applying two thirds gender principle as opposed to an inclusive policy in an electoral system.
- The Union Minister of State for Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arjun Ram Meghwal will represent India in the 4th Annual Devolution Conference .
- Mr. Meghwal would specifically highlight the 73rd-74th Constitutional Amendments and provisions there under for strengthening the local governance.
- He will also brief the Conference on the revenue sharing between the Centre and the States as well as showcase the smooth devolution from the earlier 32% share in 13thFinance Commission to 42% of Union’s net tax receipts, to the States.
Question: Former Lok Sabha speaker Rabi Ray who recently passed away, was elected Speaker of the … Lok Sabha.
Related Fact :
- On 6th March, 2017, noted socialist leader and former Lok Sabha speaker Rabi Ray passed away due to age-related ailments at SCB Medical College Hospital in Cuttack. He was 90.
- He was born at Bhanragarh village in Khurda district of Odisha on November 26, 1926.
- Ray was elected to the 4th Lok Sabha from Puri in Odisha in 1967.
- Mr. Ray was the union minister of health and family welfare in the Morarji Desai ministry from January 1979 to January 1980.
- On December 19, 1989, he was unanimously elected as Speaker of the 9th Lok Sabha from 1989-1991. He was also a former chairman of Common Wealth Speakers’ Forum.
Question: Where was India’s tallest Tricolour hoisted recently?
Related Fact :
- On 5th March, 2017, India hoisted the tallest tricolour in the country at the Attari border. The 360-foot tall flag is high enough to be spotted from Lahore in Pakistan.
- It was hoisted on a 110-meter high mast, the flag is 120-foot long and 80-foot wide. The weight of the flag pole is 55 tonnes.
- Punjab government spent an estimated Rs 3.50 crore rupees on this project.
- The decision to install tallest tricolour at the Attari border was taken by the Amritsar Improvement Trust.
- Before this, the title of the tallest national flag in India belonged to a 293-foot-high tricolour that was hoisted in Jharkhand’s Ranchi.