Daily : January 6, 2017
Question: Which of the following country won the 2016 SAFF Women’s Championship?
- The 2016 SAFF Women’s Championship was the fourth edition of the SAFF Women’s Championship, the biennial international women’s football championship contested by the national teams of the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF).
- The tournament began in India from 26 December 2016 and held upto 4 January 2017.
- This was the first time India had hosted the SAFF Women’s Championship.
- The participating teams (7) are India (host), Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
- Competition Results:
- Winner: India (3-1)
- Runner Up:Bangladesh
- Sabitra Bhandari of Nepal is top goal scorer in the tournament (12).
- This was India’s fourth consecutive SAFF Championship title.
- The tournament saw no participation from Pakistan.
Question: Recently Election Commission announced the dates for Assembly polls of five states. Among these five states which of the following North East state is included?
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
- On 4 January 2016 the Election Commission announced the poll dates for Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Manipur and Goa.
- UP will have a seven phase election, with polling on February 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, March 4 and 8.
- Phase-1 (11 February 2017)- 67 constituencies of 11 districts
- Phase-2 (15 February 2017)- 67 constituencies of 11 districts
- Phase-3 (19 February 2017)- 69 constituencies of 12 districts
- Phase-4 (23 February 2017)- 53 constituencies of 12 districts
- Phase-5 (27 February 2017)- 52 constituencies of 11 districts
- Phase-6 (4 March 2017)- 49constituencies of 07 districts
- Phase-7 (8 March 2017)- 40 constituencies of 07 districts
- Uttar Pradesh will vote for 403 Legislative Assemblies seats out of which 84 are reserved for Scheduled Castes and 2 for Scheduled Tribes 2.
- Election for total of 70 assembly seats in Uttarakhand will be concluded in one phase on 15 February 2017.
- Goa has 40 seats and the election will be held in one phase on 4 February 2016.
- Punjab has 117 seats and state will exercise its voting rights on 4 February.
- The only state in the northeast, Manipur will go for election for 60 assembly seats in two phases i.e. on 4 March and 8 March 2017.
- Counting will be held on 11 March 2017.
- The maximum limit for expenses for each candidate in Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Uttarakhand is Rs 28 lakh, while that in Goa and Manipur is Rs 20 lakh.
- Over 16 crore voters will exercise their democratic rights for a total of 690 constituencies in five states, for which the Commission has set up 1.85 lakh polling stations.