Question: Recently the world’s longest railway tunnel, Gotthard is built in which of the following country?
- On 29 May 2016 the final phase of operational testing of world’s longest and deepest railroad tunnel “Gotthard Base Tunnel” has concluded.
- The 57-kilometer (35-mile) two-single track Gotthard Base Tunnel is one of the main railroads of Alps.
- It will connect the northern and southern Europe.
- It is officially opened on June 1, 2016 but its full service is expected to start in December, 2016.
- Total cost of the project is 9.8 billion Swiss francs, or US$10 billion.
- The idea to build this tunnel was born 69 years ago: Swiss engineer Eduard Gruner first came up with the concept in 1947.
- Gotthard Base Tunnel will overtake Japan’s 53.9-kilometer Seikan Tunnel as the world’s longest train tunnel.