Question: Which is the first state where VVPAT was used in EVM at all polling stations in the assembly elections?
(d) Uttar Pradesh
- On September 28, 2017, Gujarat Chief Electoral Officer B.B Sen announced the use of VVPAT (Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail) in the EVM to complete the upcoming assembly elections at all the polling stations.
- After the state of Goa (February, 2017), Gujarat will become the second state where VVPAT was used in all the polling stations in the assembly elections.
- After voting with the EVM, a slip on the VVPAT display will be seen, on which the mark of the voter has voted for a candidate, political party or nota will be printed.
- Through it, the voter will know that his vote got for the one whom he has voted. It will be used in 50128 polling booths of 182 assembly constituencies in the assembly elections to be held in Gujarat in the end of 2017.
- During the hearing of a petition filed in the year 2013, the Supreme Court has said in its order that the provision of VVPAT to be made compulsory in all elections held by the EVM.