Question: Who is the first Indian athlete to be nominated the Laureus World Sports Awards recently?
(a) Sakshi Malik
(b) Kavita Devi
(c) Babita Kumari
(d) Vinesh Phogat
- On 17 January 2019, Nominees for the 2019 Laureus World Sports Awards were announced selecting the highest achieving men, women and teams over the past calendar year.
- Indian female wrestler Vinesh Phogat has been nominated in the Laureus World Comeback of the Year category.
- With this achievement she made the history as the first Indian athlete to be nominated in one of the categories of Laureus World Sports Awards.
- She has been nominated alongwith US Tour Championship winner Tiger Woods, Japanese figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu, Canadian snowboarder Mark McMorris, US ski racing legend Lindsey Vonn and Dutch Paralympic champion Bibian Mentel-Spee.
- It is worth to mention that Vinesh Phogat won the gold medal at the 2018 Asian Games and became first Indian woman wrestler to win gold in the Asian Games.
- Vinesh is the 24-year-old wrestler from Haryana.
- The Laureus World Sports Awards is the premier global sporting award ceremony recognising the year’s outstanding sporting achievements and individuals across eight categories.
- The winners, as voted for by the 66 members of the Laureus World Sports Academy, will be unveiled at the 2019 Laureus World Sports Awards in Monaco on 18 February 2019.