Question: National Green Tribunal headquarters is located at-
(b) New Delhi
- On 18 December 2015, Uttar Pradesh government has decided to enforce the ban on the use of polythene across the state to protect the environment and public health.
- The administration however has not specified the timeline as to when the ban will come into force.
- Decision in this regard was taken in a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav as per the directives of National Green Tribunal and Allahabad High Court to prohibit its usage.
- The ban prohibits manufacturing; importing, purchasing and storage of all kinds of plastic carry bags in state.
- However, the ban will not be applicable on carry bags used for packaging purposes.
- On November 18, 2015 Allahabad High Court had directed the state government to issue a notification for complete ban on the sale of polythene across the state by December 31, 2015 in view of its negative impact on people’s health as well as environment.