Question: What are initiatives recently launched by the Union Home Minister regarding women safety?
1) Emergency Response Support System (ERSS)
2) Investigation Tracking System for Sexual Offences (ITSSO)
3) Safe City Implementation Monitoring Portal (SCIM)
4) Anti Romeo Squad
Choose the correct statement/s:
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 1, 2 and 3 only
(c) 1, 2, 3 and 4
(d) 4 only
- Union Home Minister to launch various Women Safety initiatives in 16 States/UTs and Mumbai city which include the launch of:
Emergency Response Support System (ERSS); Investigation Tracking System for Sexual Offences (ITSSO) and Safe City Implementation Monitoring Portal (SCIM):
- The 16 states/UTs are Andhra Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, UP, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, Andaman, Dadar Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu and J&K.
- These initiatives will provide effective deterrence against the offence of rape; the Government has enacted the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2018.
Emergency Response Support System (ERSS):
- ERSS is a pan-India single number (112) based response system for persons in distress. All the states have to set up a Emergency Response Centre (ERC). It will have a team of trained Call-takers and Dispatchers to handle emergency requests relating to assistance from Police, Fire & Rescue, Health and other emergency services.
- ERSS also provides a 112 India mobile App for making distress calls by any person.
- For Women and Children, 112 India App provides a special SHOUT feature which alerts registered volunteers in the vicinity of victim for immediate assistance.
- The Central Government is funding Rs.321.69 crore to the States/UTs for ERSS as part of Nirbhaya Scheme Project.
Investigation Tracking System for Sexual Offences (ITSSO):
- The ITSSO is meant for Law Enforcement Agencies in the country.
- At all levels- National, State, District and Police Station that allows State to undertake real-time monitoring and management for completion of investigation in rape cases in 2 months.
- ITSSO is one of such measures developed by MHA towards Smart Policing.
Safe City Implementation Monitoring Portal (SCIM):
- Government has identified eight cities for implementation of Safe City projects in first phase at a cost of Rs.2,919 crore.
- The cities are Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Lucknow & Mumbai.The projects are funded under Nirbhaya Fund scheme.
- Important features of the Safe City projects include:
- Identification of crime Hot-spots in each city. Saturating such Hot-spots with increased CCTV surveillance. Automated Number Plate Reading (ANPR) and drone-based surveillance also being deployed in few cities as per requirement. Setting up women police out-posts for facilitating ease of access by any aggrieved woman to report incidence or seek assistance. Patrols by Women police in vulnerable areas. Setting up Women Help Desks in Police Stations with facility for trained Counsellors.
- Augmentation of existing women support centers like Asha Jyoti Kendra or Bharosa centers etc. Implementing Safety measures in buses, including Cameras. Improving Street Lighting in identified Hot Spot areas. Setting up Toilets for women. Undertaking social awareness programmes on women safety and gender sensitivity.