Question: Recently Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh approves report of task force created by MHA to identify areas for use on space technology in improving Border Management. Name the areas identified for use of space technology?
(a) Island Development & Border Security
(b) Communication and Navigation & GIS and Operations Planning System
(c) Border Infrastructure Development
(d) All of the above
- On 17th January 2019, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has approved Report of Task Force created by MHA to identify areas for use of Space Technology in improving Border Management.
- The identified areas are Island Development, Border Security, Communication and Navigation, GIS and Operations Planning System & Border Infrastructure Development.
- A short, medium and long term plan has been proposed for implementation in five years in close coordination with Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) & Ministry of Defence (MoD).
- In short term, immediate needs of Border Guarding Forces (BGFs) BGFs will be met by procurement of high resolution imagery and hiring of bandwidth for communications., in medium term one satellite is proposed to be launched by ISRO for exclusive use of MHA and in long term MHA will develop ground segment and network infrastructure to share satellite resources by user agencies, develop a Central Archival Facility for storing various imagery resources and dissemination of the same to user agencies.
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS)-based GPS (Global Positioning System) will provide navigation facilities for operational parties in high altitude, remote and difficult borders and Naxal areas.
- BSF has been designated as lead agency for implementation of ground segment and network infrastructure including establishment of Archival Facility.
- The Task Force headed by Joint Secretary (Border Management) and having members from BSF, Department of Space and BM Division; MHA consulted all stakeholders including Border Guarding Forces (BGFs), ISRO, National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) and Ministry of Defence (MoD) to finalize the report.