Question: Name the two Indian cities which have been designated as members of Creative City Network of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)?
(a) Varanasi and Jaipur
(b) Varanasi and Agra
(c) Jaipur and Ajmer
(d) Hyderabad and Mumbai
- The UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) was created in 2004.
- By joining the Network, cities commit to sharing their best practices and developing partnerships involving the public and private sectors as well as civil society in order toStrengthen the creation, production, distribution and dissemination of cultural activities, goods and services.
- The Creative Cities Network is currently formed by 116 Members from 65 countries covering seven creative fields: Crafts & Folk Art, Design, Film, Gastronomy, Literature, Music and Media Arts.
- Varanasi and Jaipur made it to the network in the categories, City of Music and City of Crafts and Folk Art respectively.
- The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development adopted by the international community in September 2015 highlights culture and creativity as key levers for sustainable urban development.
UNESCO Creative Cities Network aims to:
- Strengthen the creation, production, distribution and dissemination of cultural activities, goods and services.
- Develop hubs of creativity and innovation and broaden opportunities for creators and professionals in the cultural sector.
- Improve access to and participation in cultural life, in particular for marginalized or vulnerable groups and individuals.
- Fully integrate culture and creativity into sustainable development plans.