Question: Fourth Session of United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) was organised in which of the following city?
- In a Significant First, India piloted resolutions on Single-Use Plastics and Sustainable Nitrogen Management at Fourth United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA).
- Fourth session of UNEA was held in Nairobi (capital of Kenya) from 11th to 15th March 2019.
- UNEA adopted both the resolutions with consensus.
- The Global nitrogen use efficiency is low, resulting in pollution by reactive nitrogen which threatens human health, ecosystem services, contributes to climate change and stratospheric ozone depletion.
- Only a small proportion of the plastics produced globally is recycled with most of it damaging the environment and aquatic bio-diversity.
- The resolutions piloted by India at the UNEA are vital first steps towards addressing these issues and attracting focus of the global community.
- Nitrogen is essential to all life on Earth as it forms an important component of life-building and propagating biochemical molecules like proteins.
- But overuse in agriculture in the form of Fertilizers and other fields have made this important element more bane than boon.
- This is why many scientists have called nitrogen the “New Carbon”.