Question: Which city topped the list of the Traffic Index becoming the most congested city of the world for the second time in a row?
- Mumbai is ranked as the most congested city in the world as per the latest Traffic Index 2018 released by an Amsterdam based traffic solution company Tom Tom.
- Tom Tom offers traffic solutions, uses location technology to collect traffic information, and has been publishing city rankings for eight years. The latest index ranks 403 cities across 56 countries, including 13 new cities.
- Mumbai became the most congested city for the second time in a row. The congestion level here is 65% which means that the extra travel time is 65% more than an average trip taken in uncongested conditions.
- Columbia`s capital Bogota is ranked second with 63% congestion level. Lima with 58% ranks third and Delhi ranks fourth with 58% congestion level each.
- Moscow (56% congestion level) is ranked fifth in the list.
- Istanbul, Jakarta, Bangkok, Mexico City and Recife are ranked from six to ten respectively in the list.
- The stats were calculated using GPA data from navigation devices, in-dash systems and smartphones.
- Nearly 75% of the cities in the index had shown increased or stable congestion levels between 2017 and 2018 while 90 cities showed measurable decrease in the congestion level.