Question: The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) honoured how many scientists who have done pioneering work in the area of health research to solve various health issues?
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) honoured 46 biomedical scientists who have done pioneering work in the area of health research to solve various health issues.
- A total 39 awards for 2017 and 2018 were presented to 46 scientists, including 14 women scientists.
- Of the 39 awards, two were given to scientists belonging to underprivileged communities and one to a scientist who has conducted research in under-developed areas.
- The awardees belong to ICMR, CSIR-labs, AIIMS, New Delhi, PGI, Chandigarh, SGPGI, Lucknow, IITs, JIPMER, Puducherry, SCTIMST, Thiruvananthapuram, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, state and central universities and other reputed institutions.
- The need to strengthen innovation for developing new technologies and carry out research to reduce out-of-pocket expenditure and help in reducing disease burden highlighted in this award show.
- The minister appreciated ICMR’s efforts in tackling the emerging and re-emerging infections like Zika and Nipah and congratulated its scientists for excellent work.