Question: Recently,which state has achieved the feat of 100 percent electrification?
(b) Tamil Nadu
(b) Tamil Nadu
- Telangana has become one the fully electrified states in the country after providing electricity to over 5 lakh 15 thousand households under the Soubhagya Yojana.
- Among the newly electrified households, maximum are in the erstwhile Mahabubnagar District in which one lakh 60 thousand households got electrified.
- After fully covering the state by the end of January this year, a special drive has also been conducted in which another over 63 thousand households have been covered making the state fully electrified under the Saubhagya Yojana.
- Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana – ‘Saubhagya’ a new scheme was launched by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25th September, 2017.
- Under Saubhagya free electricity connections to all households (both APL and poor families) in rural areas and poor families in urban areas will be provided.
- The scheme aims to achieve the goal of universal household electrification in the country by March 31, 2019.
- However,the Yojana lapsed on March 31, 2019, but its target of 100% electrification nationwide is yet to be achieved.
- As per scheme, Electricity connections will be given to APL families for Rs 500, which will be payable in 10 equal monthly instalments. The BPL cardholders will get free electricity connections.
- Rural Electrification Corporation (REC) has been designated as nodal agency for the Saubhagya scheme.
- The total outlay of scheme is Rs. 16, 320 crore while Gross Budgetary Support (GBS) is Rs. 12,320 crore.
- Since the Saubhagya Scheme has no allocation in the latest Budget, these connections will be funded through the Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS) and Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY).
Indian Power Sector:
- India ranks third globally in terms of electricity production.
- Also, the country has the fifth largest power generation capacity in the world.