Question: Name the person who was awarded the prestigious Tagore award for Cultural Harmony for the Year 2016?
(a) Rajkumar Singhajit Singh
(c) Ram Vanji Sutar
(d) None of the above
- On 18th February, 2019, President of India Ram Nath Kovind presented the Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for the years 2014, 2015 and 2016 to Mr. Rajkumar Singhajit Singh (exponent of Manipuri dance), Chhayanaut (a cultural organization of Bangladesh) and Mr. Ram Vanji Sutar (Bangla arts. Renowned sculptor and scholar) respectively.
- The awardees were selected by a jury headed by the Prime Minister and include Chief Justice of India Justice Ranjan Gogoi, former Chief Election Commissioner Mr. N Gopalaswami and the President of Indian Council for Cultural Relations Mr. Vinay Sahasrabuddhe.
- Since 2012, Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony was instituted by the Government during the commemoration of the 150th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore (1861–1941).
- The first award was given in 2012 to Pandit Ravi Shankar. Music conductor Zubin Mehta received the award for the year 2013.
- Speaking on the occasion Prime Minister Narendra Modi called Tagore’s teachings as timeless and stated that the world stands to learn a great deal from his works. He recognised the folk arts and traditional dances as indicative of Indian culture.
- This award is presented every year and carries an amount of one crore rupees, a citation in a scroll, a plaque as well as an exquisite traditional handicraft or handloom item.