Question: Sh. Ram Vanji Sutar, recipient of 2016 Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony, is a/an-
(a) Doyen of Manipuri Dance
- Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for 2014, 2015 & 2016 was announced by the Jury under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister, Narendra Modi and comprising of the Chief Justice of India, Justice Ranjan Gogoi and some other members.
- This award for 2014 was given to doyen of Manipuri dance Sh. Rajkumar Singhajit Singh; for 2015 it is conferred to Chhayanaut (a cultural organization of Bangladesh) and for 2016 recipient of this award is one of India’s greatest sculptors, Sh. Ram Vanji Sutar.
The Tagore Award:
- This award is given in commemoration of the 150th birth anniversary of the Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore (1861–1941) for cultural harmony.
- Established in 2011 by Government of India, it is given for outstanding achievement in fostering harmony and universalism and values of cultural harmony especially in conflict or extreme situations through innovative systems/strategies and which have an enduring and transformational impact.
- This award carries an amount of Rupees One Crore, a Citation in a Scroll, a Plaque as well as an exquisite traditional handicraft/handloom items.
- The first award was given in 2012 to Pandit Ravi Shankar.