Question: Swachh Survekshan League 2020 was launched by which of the following Ministry on 4th June, 2019?
(a) Ministry of Human Resource
(b) Ministry of Home Affairs
(c) Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation
(d) Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Hardeep S Puri, Minister of State (I/C) for Housing & Urban Affairs launched Swachh Survekshan 2020 League at the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), New Delhi on 6th June, 2019.
- Swachh Survekshan League 2020 will be a quarterly cleanliness assessment of cities and towns in India and will be integrated with Swachh Survekshan 2020, the 5th edition of the annual cleanliness survey of urban India to be conducted between January to February 2020 by MoHUA under the aegis of Swachh Bharat Mission- Urban (SBM-U).
- The objective of the Swachh Survekshan (SS) survey is to encourage large scale citizen participation, ensure sustainability of initiatives taken towards garbage free and open defecation free cities, provide credible outcomes validated by third party certification.
- The 4th edition, Swachh Survekshan 2019 covered 4237 cities in a record time of 28 days and was a fully digitized and paperless survey. Indore has retained the title of the Cleanest City in the last three years.
Swachh Survekshan (SS) 2019:
- SS League 2020 will be conducted in 3 quarters, i.e. April to June, July to September and October to December 2019 and will have a weightage of 2000 marks for each quarter to be evaluated on the basis of monthly updation of SBM-U online MIS by cities along with citizen’s validation on the 12 service level progress indicators through outbound calls.
- These two parameters will together determine the quarterly ranking of cities. Ranks will be assigned in two categories, namely, cities with population of one lakh and above and cities with population of less than 1 lakh.
- The performance of cities in SS League 2020 will be crucial to their ranking in Swachh Survekshan 2020 due to the 25% weightage of the quarterly assessments to be included in the annual survey in January 2020.