Question: The action of closure of the Sterlite Copper Factory by the Tamil Nadu Government was done under which of the given Acts?
(a) Section 18 (1) (B) of the Water Act, 1972
(b) Section 17 (1) (B) of Water Act, 1973
(c) Section 18 (1) (B) of the Water Act, 1974
(d) Section 17 (1) (B) of the Water Act, 1978
- On May 28th, 2018, the Tamil Nadu government ordered closure of the Sterlite Copper Factory located in Thoothukudi.
- After the government order this plant was sealed on this day.
- The government some time before the order was issued by the Tamil Nadu government’s Environment and Forest Department to permanently shut down the plant.
- A few weeks ago, 13 people were killed in police firing in the movement to shut down the plant.
- With the decision to discontinue the factory, more than 3500 workers (including 2000 workers on contract) have been affected directly.
- This action has been done in the wider public interest under Section 18 (1) (B) of the Water Act, 1974.
- The State Pollution Control Board had asked to close it.
- The State Pollution Control Board did not renew the consent of Vedanta Limited to operate the Copper Smelter Plant in the order of 9th April, 2018.
- The closure of this plant was initiated during the tenure of former Chief Minister Jayalalitha.
- This is India’s second largest copper-making plant.