Question: India secured the second spot in global steel production by replacing which of the following country?
(d) South Korea
- In the latest report of World Steel Association (world steel) India replaced the Japan (104.3 MT) and secured the second place in global steel production.
- Global crude steel output registered a growth of 4.6 per cent in 2018.
- China is the largest producer of steel accounting for more than 51 per cent of production.
- China’s crude steel output jumped 6.6 per cent to 928.3 million tons (MT) in 2018 from 870.9 MT in 2017.
- India crude steel production reached 106.5 MT in 2018 from 101.5 MT in 2017.
- Top ten steel producing countries include United States, South Korea, Russia, Germany, turkey, Brazil and Iran respectively in the same order.
- World steel association is one of the industry associations in the world.
- Its members represent around 85 per cent of the world’s steel production, including over 160 steel producers with 9 out of the 10 largest steel companies, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes.