Question- Which Indian player amongst the following has been awarded ‘Sportsperson of the Year’ for the year 2017 in Sports Illustrated Annual Awards distributed on June 20th, 2018?
(a) Leander Paes
(b) Srikanth Kidambi
(c) Shubhankar Sharma
(d) Manav Thakkar
- Eighth award ceremony of Sports Magazine ‘Sports Illustrated- India’ concluded in New Delhi. (June 20, 2018)
- Kidambi Srikanth, the country’s top badminton player, was awarded with the Indian Sportsperson of the Year award for year 2017.
- Other award recipients are as follows:
- ‘Team of the Year’ – Indian women’s cricket team
- ‘Coach of the Year’ – Stefan Constantine (National football team)
- ‘Outstanding Contribution to Sport’ – Leander Paes (Tennis)
- ‘Editors Choice for Excellence’ (Team) – Aizawl Football Club
- ‘Editors Choice for Excellence (Male) – Jitu Rai (Shooter)
- ‘Young Sports Person of the Year’ – Manav Thakkar (Table Tennis)
- ‘Game Changer of the Year’ – Shubhankar Sharma (Golf)
- Lifetime Achievement Award ‘- Dhanraj Pillai (Former Hockey Player)
- ‘Community Development in Sport’ – Sailen Tudu (Rugby)
- ‘Comeback of the Year’ – Sushil Kumar (Wrestling)
- ‘Special Award Living Legend’ – Balbir Singh Senior (Former Hockey Player)
- Kidambi Srikanth won four Super Series titles in the year 2017 and finished the season as the world’s second number player.
- These awards have been provided for the best performance in year 2017.
- Sports Illustrated is a bi-weekly American sports magazine under the Meredith Corp’s ownership.
- The Sports Illustrated Group and Dennis Media Transasia India jointly launched its Indian version in October 2009.