Question: In the released IMD Smart City Index, 2019, which city was ranked top among the following cities?
(b) New Delhi
- On 3rd October, 2019, International Institute for Management Development’s (IMD’s) has released the very-first edition of the Smart City Index 2019 (SCI).
- The SCI is presented by the IMD World Competitiveness Center’s Smart City Observatory, in partnership with Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
- SCI is the only global index of its kind which focuses on ranking urban areas based on the perception of citizens, outlines the necessity of aligning policy with the lives and needs of citizens.
- In the published list, Singapore has been ranked as the smartest city in 2019, out of 102 cities in the world.
- Among Indian cities, Hyderabad has topped the ranking holding the 67th place.
- Other Indian cities featured in the index are New Delhi (68), Mumbai (78) and Bengaluru (79).
- The top 10 smartest cities in 2019 are: Singapore (1st), Zurich (2nd), Oslo (3rd), Geneva (4th), Copenhagen (5th), Auckland (6th), Taipei City (7th), Helsinki (8th), Bilbao (9th) and Dusseldorf (10th).