Question: Which country will become the first country to ban advertisement for sugary drinks?
- Singapore is set to become the first country in the world to ban ads for unhealthy drinks with high sugar content in what it says is the latest move in its ongoing “war on diabetes.”
- The ban, which will apply to “the least healthy” sugar-sweetened beverages, will cover all media platforms including print, broadcast and online,as per Edwin Tong, Senior Minister of State for the city-state’s Ministry of Health.
- According to the International Diabetes Federation, 13.7 per cent of adults suffer from diabetes in Singapore, one of the highest rates among developed nations.
- Other marketing bans around the world have focused on restricting children’s exposure to junk food ads.
- Some 420 million people around the world today suffer from diabetes, with the number expected to rise to 629 million by 2045, according to the International Diabetes Federation. (AFP)