Question: Which of the following party won the most number of seats in the recent held state legislative election in Sikkim?
(a) Indian National Congress
(b) Sikkim Krantikari Morcha
(c) Sikkim Democratic Front
(d) Bhartiya Janata Party
- Sikkim Assembly Election took place along with the 17th General Election.
- Voting for 1 Lok Sabha and all the 32 assembly seats took place on April 1 2019.
- Result of the election was declared on May 23, 2019.
Highlights of the result:
- The term of the Sikkim state assembly ended on May 27, 2019.
- Of the total 32 seats, Sikkim Krantikari Morcha won 17 seats, exactly the number required for majority.
- Chief Minister Pawan Chamling led Sikkim Democratic Front (SKF) won 15 seats.
- The SDF got a total of 47.63 % votes and ended up winning 15 seats, while the SKM, which won most 17 seats, secured only 47.03 % votes.
- Prem Singh Tamang alias P.S. Golay became the new Chief Minister of Sikkim.
- He took the oath for the Chief Minister on May 27, 2019 in Gangtok.
- He had earlier served as the Minister for Animal Husbandry, Ecclesiastical and Industry Department from 1994- 99 in Chamling government.
- He founded the SKF after breaking the ties with SDF in 2013.
- Pawan Kumar Chamling has been the country’s longest-serving Chief Minister till date having five successive terms.
- He had ruled Sikkim for 24 years assuming the charge for the first time in 1993.