Question: Recently actor Saeed Jaffrey passed away, he had played a role in the film Gandhi. Which historical character he portrayed in the Gandhi film?
(a) Jawaharlal Nehru
(b) Sardar Patel
(c) Lala lajpat Rai
(d) Mahatma Gandhi
- On 14 November 2015 Veteran actor Saeed Jaffrey has passed away at the age of 86.
- He is best-known for his acting roles in movies like ‘Gandhi’, ‘Shatranj Ke Khiladi’, ‘Henna’ and ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’.
- Jaffrey was born on 8 January 1929 in Malerkotla in then Punjab province of British India.
- He started his career in drama, as the founder of his own English theatre company called the Unity Theatre, in New Delhi.
- He began acting in films after having successful career in the theater.
- He played the role of Sardar patel in the film Gandhi directed by Richard Attenborough.
- He worked as an actor in both Drama and Commercial films and gained fame.
- He worked in the famous Bollywood film like ‘The Man Who Would Be King’, ‘A Passage to India’ and ‘The Far Pavilion’.
- In 1978, he was awarded Filmfare Award for ‘Shatranj Ke Khiladi’ in the Best Supporting Actor category. This was his first film.
- He is also the first Indian to receive the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for his contributions to drama.