Question: Rise in Canadian citizenship for Indians during 2018 is-
- According to recently issued IRCC(Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) estimate, 1.53 lakh people would have obtained Canadian citizenship by October 2018 – being a year from the date the new relaxed norms for citizenship came into effect.
- As per IRCC, there is a rise of 50% in Canadian citizenship for Indians by October 2018.
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is the federal department which facilitates arrival of immigrants to Canada.
- As country of birth, India figured in the second highest number of applications from those claiming Canadian citizenship.
- Philippines topped this list by a slender lead: 15,600 – odd Filipinos became citizens of Canada during this ten-month period, but this was a marginal increase of 11% compared to the traffic form Philippines for the entire 12 months of 2017.
- During the 10-month period ending October 2018 nearly 15,000-odd Indians obtained citizenship. If compared with 2017, it is a steep rise of 50%.