Question: Which of the following launch vehicle successfully launched the RISAT-2B satellite from Sriharikota on 22nd May, 2019?
- India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C46) successfully launched the RISAT-2B satellite from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh on 22nd May, 2019.
- This was the 72nd launch vehicle mission from SDSC SHAR, Sriharikota and 36th launch from the First Launch pad.
- PSLV-C46 lifted-off from the First Launch Pad and injected RISAT-2B into an orbit of 556 km, about 15 minutes and 25 seconds after lift-off.
- After separation, solar arrays of RISAT-2B were deployed automatically and ISRO Telemetry Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) at Bengaluru assumed control of the satellite.
- RISAT-2B is a radar imaging earth observation satellite weighing about 615 kg. The radar imaging satellite can observe and image the earth from about 500 km.
- The satellite is intended to provide services in the field of Agriculture, Forestry and Disaster Management. It has advanced technology of 3.6m radial rib antenna.
- It is an all-weather imaging satellite which will enhance the capability to image earth resources, surveillance and security system.
- With this launch PSLV lofts 50 tonnes to space by launching 354 satellites, including national, student and foreign satellites.
- The efforts of team was commended by ISRO chairman which was involved in the realization of the piggyback payload carried onboard this mission namely, Vikram processor and low cost MEMS based Inertial Navigation System (INS) developed by Semi-Conductor Laboratory (SCL), Chandigarh and ISRO Inertial Systems Unit, Thiruvananthapuram respectively.