Question: Consider the following statements in reference to Renukaji Multipurpose Dam Project:
1) An agreement for this Dam project is signed between 6 states
2) This would lead to construction of three storage projects
3) The projects would be constructed on River Ganga and its tributaries
4) Renukaji Dam project has been conceived as a storage project on Giri River
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 1, 3 and 4
(c) 1, 2 and 4
(d) 2, 3 and 4
- An agreement for Renukaji Multipurpose Dam Project was signed in New Delhi in the presence of Union Water Resource Minister Nitin Gadkari on January 11 between six states namely Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand. Chief Ministers of all six states were present during the signature.
Renukaji Multipurpose Dam Project:
- Under this project, proposal is for the construction of three storage projects on river Yamuna and two of its tributaries; Tons and Giri in the hilly regions of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh of Upper Yamuna Basin. These include Lakhwar project on river Yamuna in Uttarakhand, Kishau on river Tons in Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh and Renukaji on river Giri in Himachal Pradesh.
- These three projects were identifies as National Projects in 2008 whose cost would be borne by Centre and beneficiary state as 90% and 10% respectively.
- Renukaji Dam project has been conceived as a storage project on Giri River in Sirmour district of Himachal Pradesh envisaging construction of 148 mtr. high rock filled dam to supply 23 cumec water to Delhi and other basin states.
- This project will also generate 40 MW of power during peak flow. This project is proposed to be executed by Himachal Pradesh Power Corporation Ltd. (HPPCL).
- The live storage of the dam is 0.404 MAF and total submergence area of 1508 hectares in the territory of Himachal Pradesh. The flow of Giri River will increase about 110% after the construction which will meet the drinking needs of Delhi & other basin states.
- The total projected cost of the project on Price Level 2015 is Rs. 4596.76 crores out of which the cost of irrigation/drinking water component is Rs. 4325.43 crores and the cost of power component is Rs. 277.33 crore.
- Stored water of Renukaji Dam will be used by UP, Haryana & NCT of Delhi from Hathnikund Barrage, by NCT of Delhi from Wazirabad Barrage and by UP, Haryana and Rajasthan from Okhla Barrage.
Projects for Concession Agreement:
- The trans-Ganga/Yamuna areas in Prayagraj do not have any sewage treatment facility which leads to pollution of rivers. Two projects for sewage management have been sanctioned in the trans-Ganga/Yamuna areas and Operation & Maintenance (O&M) of exiting sewage assets costing Rs. 908.16 crores.
- The projects would lead to creation of new capacity of 72 MLD, rehabilitation of 80 MLD, operation & maintenance of existing STPs of 254 MLD capacity and 10 Sewage Pumping Stations.