Question: Regional conference on DDRS was organized by which of the following Ministry?
(a) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
(b) Ministry of HRD
(c) Ministry of Home Affairs
(d) Environment Ministry
- A Regional conference for Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS) was organized at Nehru Centre, Mumbai on 17th January, 2019, by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Conference covered Programme Implementing Agencies (PIAs) from the Western Region of the country. NGOs, State Government representatives of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Goa were present at the conference.
- It was the second phase of a series of Regional conference to be held across the country and will culminate with national conference in New Delhi.
- Aim of scheme is to ensure equal opportunities, equity, social Justice & empowerment and to encourage voluntary action for ensuring effective implementation of the Right of persons with Disabilities (RPwD) Act 2016- Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS)
- DDRS is a central sector scheme of Government of India which is being implemented since 1999 to provide financial assistance to NGOs working for education and Rehabilitation of persons with disabilities.
- The scheme to promote voluntary action for persons with disabilities was revised and renamed as Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS) w.e.f. 01.04.2003.
- The scheme was again revised in 2018, and since 1st April, 2018 it is being implemented as revised.