Question: Red Atlas Action Plan Map which has recently been unveiled by the Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu, has its utility in?
(a) Flood mitigation in Chennai, Tamil Nadu
(b) Flood mitigation in Kedarnath, Uttarakhand
(c) Flood mitigation in Patna, Bihar
(d) Flood mitigation in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- On 3rd November, 2019; Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu unveiled the Red Atlas Action Plan Map and the Coastal Flood Warning System App (CFLOWS-Chennai) for flood mitigation in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Red Atlas Action Plan Map is a first of its kind ready reckoner, prepared by Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- It will be used to aid State Government of Tamil Nadu in effective flood mitigation in Chennai which faced the worst cataclysm in 2015.
- The atlas is aimed at flood mitigation, preparedness, operations and management aspects.
- The manual provides information, including on corporation wards that are likely to be affected due to flooding.
- It will also provide the information about the areas that may need evacuation in Chennai taking into account all historical datasets.
- CFLOWS is an integrated system that involves coupling models of regional weather forecasts, storm surges and captures about 796 flood scenarios.
- Both Red Atlas and the ‘Coastal Flood Warning System App (CFLOWS-Chennai), are intended as decision support systems covering aspects, including preparedness and prevention.