Question: Who among the following has been named for Ramon Magsaysay Award 2019?
(a) Ravish Kumar
(b) Arvind kejriwal
(c) Sushma Swaraj
(d) Arvind subramanian
- On 2nd August 2019, Journalist Ravish Kumar has been named for Ramon Magsaysay Award 2019.
- Ravish Kumar has been awarded for “harnessing journalism to give voice to the voiceless”.
- Magsaysay Award is known as the Asian equivalent of the Nobel Prize.
- Ravish Kumar is among the five recipients of Ramon Magsaysay Award.
- The award citation says that Ravish Kumar’s ‘Prime Time’ programme deals with real-life, under-reported problems of ordinary people.
- The award citation describes Ravish Kumar as a sober, well-informed and incisive anchor who has been highly vocal on insisting that the professional values of balanced, fact-based reporting be upheld in practice.
Winners of Magsaysay Award 2019
- Apart from Ravish Kumar, the other winners of the Magsaysay Award 2019 are –
- Myanmar’s Ko Swe Win (Journalist)
- Thailand’s Angkhana Neelapajit (Human Rights Activist)
- Philippines’ Raymundo Pujante Cayabyab (Musician)
- South Korea’s Kim Jong-Ki (Activist working with violence and mental health issues in youth)
Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Ramon Magsaysay Award was established in 1957 by trustees of the Rockefeller Brothers Fund.
- The award is also known as the Asian equivalent of the Nobel Prize.
- The award is named after the 3rd president of Republic of Philippines Ramon Magsaysay.
- Awardees are presented with a certificate and a medallion with an embossed image of Ramon Magsaysay facing right in profile