Question: Recently, which state becomes first state to launch policy on Pneumoconiosis?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
(b) Madhya Pradesh
- Rajasthan Government launched Policy on Pneumoconiosis Detection, Prevention, Control and Rehabilitation.
- It was launched by chief minister Ashok Gehlot.
- Pneumoconiosis is a lung diseases caused by inhalation of dust in occupations.
- Rajasthan became the first state to launch such a policy.
- Earlier Gehlot announced a policy on pneumoconiosis in the 2019-20 budget.
- According to the new policy, people having pneumoconiosis will be declared permanently disabled, and all benefits under the Persons with Disability Act, 1995, will be accrued to them and their families.
- They will get Rs 4,000 every month as pension, and their family will receive Rs 3,500 every month for five years or until their minor heirs become self-dependent.
- The relief and rehabilitation assistance in the policy includes financial assistance for education of children of people having pneumoconiosis, and funeral assistance of Rs 10,000.
- The state government will also increase the one-time assistance to Rs 400,000 to the affected worker after certification by the pneumoconiosis board. Currently, this amount is Rs 200,000.
- The compensation was being provided only to silicosis, one of the diseases under pneumoconiosis, patients in Rajasthan.
- According to government data, there are 17,000 patients of silicosis in Rajasthan since 2016 when the department made a portal for tracking the disease. As many as 1,800 people have died due to the disease in this period.