Question: Recently who has been appointed as Chief Information Commissioner (CIC)?
(a) R.K. Mathur
(b) Vijay Sharma
(c) Vivek Mathur
(d) Pradeep Thakur
- On 18 December 2015, K. Mathur has been appointed as Chief Information Commissioner (CIC).
- Conventionally, the senior-most Information Commissioner is chosen as CIC. However, Mr Mathur appointment was made away from the convention of appointing senior-most serving Information Commissioner as CIC.
- He succeeded Vijai Sharma, who completed his tenure on 1 December 2015.
- He will have tenure of about three years (2017) till he attain the age of 65.
- He was made Defence Secretary for a fixed two-year term on 28 May 2013.
- The Chief Information Commissioner is appointed by the President of India on the recommendation of a selection committee comprising of Prime Minister.
- The selection committee included Prime Minister Narendra Modi (Chairman), Leader of the Largest Opposition Party in Lok Sabha, Mallikaarjun Kharge and Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.