Question: On January 12th, 2018, from which of the following launch vehicle the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has successfully launched 31 satellites, including its 100th satellite CARTOSAT-2?
- On January 12, 2018, the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully launched 31 satellites, including its 100th satellite CARTOSAT-2 from Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle PSLV-C40.
- Mission was launched at 09:29 Hrs (IST) from Satish Dhawan Space Center Sriharikota (Andhra Pradesh).
- PSLV 740 kg through C-40 a satellite of the weighted cartosat-2 series and successfully launched 26 Nano and 4 micro satellites.
- The total weight of all 31 satellites is 1323 kg.
- Of the 31 satellites, three are Indian and 28 (3 micro satellites and 25 nano satellites) are from six countries: Canada, Finland, France, South Korea, UK and the USA.
- This is the second opportunity when ISRO successfully launched 31 satellites simultaneously.
- Earlier, ISRO had successfully launched 31 satellites from PSLV-C 38on June 23rd, 2017.
- Cartosat Satellite is also known as ‘Eye in the Sky’ because it is designed to take pictures from space.
- It was the 40th successful mission, of PSLV while it was its 42nd flight.