Question: Which of the following sites have been recently included under PRASAD scheme?
(1) Gangotri, Uttarakhand
(2) Amarkantak, Madhya Pradesh
(3) Yamunotri, Uttarakhand
(4) Parasnath, Jharkhand
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 1, 3 and 4
(c) 2 only
(d) All of the above
- On 5 December 2018 Central Government has included Gangogtri, Yamunotri from Uttarakhand, Parasnath from Jharkhand and Amarkantak from Madhya Pradesh under PRASAD scheme. The total number of sites included in PRASAD scheme has increased to 41 in 25 states.
- PRASAD (Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Heritage Augmentation Drive) is a Central Government Scheme launched in 2014-15 by Ministry of Tourism to develop pilgrimage and heritage destinations in the country.
- It was launched to develop the pilgrimage destinations as a place of tourist attraction with the concept of religious tourism experience. This will also lead to economic development and employment generation.
- The scheme focuses on basic infrastructural development in the form of road rail and water connectivity alongwith facilities for basic tourism such as Information Centers, ATM/ money exchange centers. It also focuses on development of eco-friendly modes of transport, lighting and illumination with renewable sources of energy for sustainable development.