Question: Recently Pink Legacy diamond auctioned in Geneva for world record price of about-
- Pink Legacy Diamond auctioned in Geneva for world record price of $50million (about Rs 360 crore). It was bought by US brand Harry Winston at auction in Geneva, Switzerland.
- This rectangular-cut Pink Legacy Diamond weighing about 19 carats was found in a South African mine around 100 years ago and has likely not been altered since it was first cut in 1920.
- The price of around $2.6m per carat marked a world record for a pink diamond, according to the Europe head of auction house Christie’s. The diamond’s new owners have rechristened it the Winston Pink Legacy.
- Once owned by the Oppenheimer family, who formerly ran the De Beers mining company.
- The diamond was referred to as “one of the world’s greatest diamonds” by Christie’s international head of jewellery, Rahul Kadakia