Question: Which of the following are conferred with Padma Vibhushan Award 2019?
1) Teejan Bai
2) Anilkumar Naik
3) Balwant Purandare
4) Bachendri Pal
(a) 1, 2 and 4
(b) 1, 3 and 4
(c) 1, 2 and 3
(d) All of the above.
- Government announced the list of Padma Awardees of 2019 on 25 January, 2019. The Padma awards comes in row of India`s highest civilian awards after Bharat Ratna. A total of 112 people from various areas are announced to be awarded with Padma Awards of 2019.
- The award has 21 women awardees, 11 Foreigner/NRI/PIO/OCI, three posthumous awardees and first and only Transgender awardees.
- Teejan Bai of Chattisgarh for Art-Vocal-Folk. She is a folk songer of Chhattisgarh.
- Foreigner Ismail Omar Guellah of Djibouti for Public Affairs. He is the president of Dijibouti since 1999.
- Anilkumar Manibhai Naik of Maharashtra for Trade & Industry. He is CEO of construction company Larsen & Tubro.
- Balwant Moreshwar Purandare of Maharashtra for Acting Theatre. He is well known theatre personality of Maharashtra.
- 14 people are announced to be awarded this award which famously includes Bachendri Pal of Uttarakhand for Mountaineering. She is the first Indian women to climb Mt. Everest.
- BJP MP from Madhubani, Bihar and former Central Minister Hukumdev Narayan Yadav for Public Affairs.
- Noted journalist and critical writer Kuldip Nayyar of Delhi for literature and journalism posthumously.
- Former Vice Chairman of Rajya Sabha Kariya Munda of Jharkhand for Public Affairs.
- A total of 94 people are declared to be awarded with Padma Shri. Some famously include Actor Manoj Bajpayee, Painter Jyoti Bhatt, Footballer Sunil Chhetri, vocalist Rajeshwar Acharya.
- Dancer Nartaki Natraj of Tamil Nadu becomes the first transgender to be awarded Padma Shri.
About Padma Awards:
- Padma Awards were instituted in the year 1954 and announced every year on the occasion of Republic Day. It was interrupted during the years 1978 and 1979 and 1993 to 1997.
- Padma Awards – one of the highest civilian Awards of the country, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The Awards are given in various disciplines/ fields of activities, viz. – art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc.
- ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service; ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field. The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.
- These awards are conferred by the President of India at ceremonial functions which are held at Rashtrapati Bhawan usually around March/ April every year.