Question- What was the first ‘Hindi word of the year -2017’ of Oxford Dictionaries?
- On January 27th, 2018, the word ‘AADHAAR’ was announced by Oxford Dictionaries as the “word of the year 2017” at the Jaipur Literature Festival.
- According to the traditional definition of base – the foundation on which all the weight of an object or idea is hinged.
- But this year this word came into discussion due to Aadhaar card being made mandatory by the government.
- This word now has another meaning-the 12-digit unique identification number issued by the government to all Indians.
- It is important to remember that Oxford Hindi Word of the Year was suggested by the Hindi-speaking people from all over the world including India.
- Apart from the ‘Aadhaar’, some other words such as Notebandi, Swachh, Vikaas, Yoga and Bahubali were too close to becoming the Hindi word of the year.