Question: Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation has recently sanctioned 1,00,537 more houses for urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban). How much investment is to be made by Ministry for this?
(a) 4000 cr.
(b) 4200 cr.
(c) 4500 cr.
(d) 5500 cr.
- On April 26, 2017, Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation sanctioned 1,00,537 more houses for urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) with an investment of Rs.4,200 cr. taking the total investment so far approved to Rs.1,00,466 cr.
- This is 307% more than the investment approved of Rs.32,713 cr during 2004-14 for affordable housing in urban areas.
- With latest sanctions, the Ministry has so far approved construction of 18,75,389 houses for Economically Weaker Sections under PMAY(Urban) in 2,151 cities and towns in 34 States/UTs.
- It is significant that 13.80 lakh houses were sanctioned during 2004-15 with an approved investment of Rs.32,009 cr.
- The total investment approved so far includes central assistance of Rs.29,409 cr, assistance from State Governments and beneficiary contribution.
- Madhya Pradesh with total houses sanctioned of 2,66,842, has emerged the leader for the first time in approvals under PMAY(Urban) with a total investment of Rs.18,283 cr.
- Tamil Nadu is second with 2,52,532 houses with a total project cost of Rs.9,112 cr followed by Manipur-6,231, Chattisgarh-4,898, Gujarat-4,261, Assam-2,389, Kerala-643, Jharkhand-331 and Daman & Diu-77.