Question: Which Ministry has issued a notification to exempt battery operated vehicles from paying registration fees?
(a) Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
(b) Ministry of Home Affairs
(c) Ministry of Finance
(d) Ministry of Environment
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has initiated steps for providing for differential registration fees under the Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989.
- This is done in order to give a boost to Battery-Operated or Electric Vehicles in the country.
- For this, the Ministry has issued a draft notification dated 18th June 2019 vide Gsr 430 (E), to amend Rule 81 of CMVR.
- The amendment proposes to exempt Battery Operated Vehicles from payment of fees for the purpose of issue or renewal of registration certificate and assignment of new registration mark.
- This means that Electric Vehicles would be exempted from such registration charges.