Question: In which of the following areas of Physics this year’s Noble prize has been awarded?
(a) Decisive contributions to the LIGO detector
(b) Optical tweezers and their application to biological systems
(c) Theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology
(d) Invention of efficient blue light-emitting diodes
- The 2019 Nobel Prize in Physics are awarded for contributions to our understanding of the evolution of the universe and Earth’s place in the cosmos.
- This year the award is shared between James Peebles for theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology and Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz for the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star.
- The Nobel Prize in Physics 2019 rewards new understanding of the universe’s structure and history, and the first discovery of a planet orbiting a solar-type star outside our solar system.
- This year’s Laureates have contributed to answering fundamental questions about our existence.
- What happened in the early infancy of the universe and what happened next?
- Could there be other planets out there, orbiting other suns?