Question: Name the Navy’s Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft which is recently dedicated to the Nation.
(a) Boeing P-8I
(b) Boeing P-9I
(c) Boeing P-6I
(d) Boeing P-5I
- Giving a boost to the firepower and arsenal of the Indian Armed Forces, the Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar dedicated the Boeing P-8I (Poseidon Eight India) Long Range Maritime Patrol aircraft to the nation.
- This Long Range Maritime Patrol aircraft is dedicated to nation during an impressive ceremony held at INS Rajali, Arakkonam, India’s premiere Naval Air Station in southern India, about 70 Km off Chennai.
- The P-8I aircraft is equipped for long range anti submarine warfare, anti -surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance.
- The P-8I aircraft is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon aircraft that Boeing developed as a replacement for the US Navy’s ageing P-3 fleet.
- Indian Navy became the first international customer for the P-8 aircraft.
- India signed a nearly US $ 2.1 billion contract on 01 Jan 2009 for a total of eight aircraft.
- The first aircraft arrived in India on the 15 May 2013 and as of date; all eight aircraft have been inducted into the Indian Navy.
- Recently the P-8I aircraft had achieved a number of operational milestones which includes participation in the search effort for Malaysian Airlines Flight MH 370, the first successful firing of air launched Harpoon Block II missile in the world, torpedo firing and active participation in major naval exercises.