Question: Where did the National workshop on ODF Plus with 12 states take place on November 9, 2019?
(a) New Delhi
- The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS), Ministry of Jal Shakti organised a one-day national workshop on ODF Plus – ODF Sustainability and Solid and Liquid Waste Management in New Delhi on November 9, 2019.
- Parameswaran Iyer, Secretary (DDWS), Ministry of Jal Shakti, opened the workshop. Secretaries in-charge of rural sanitation, Mission Directors and other key state level officials from 12 states attended the workshop.
- 5.99 lakh villages, 699 districts and 25 states and union territories having declared themselves Open Defecation Free (ODF) under the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) [SBM(G)] as of October 2019.
- States were encouraged to take stock of their rural sanitation situation and lay focus on sustaining the gains made under the SBM(G) and ensuring general cleanliness in the villages with solid and liquid waste management (SLWM).
- The Secretary also held bilateral meetings between the senior most officials representing the states along with officials from the Ministry, to discuss challenges and strategies on a state-by-state basis.
Open Defecation Free Plus:
- ODF Plus, SBM(G)’s latest component, consists of two main tracks: ODF Sustainability (ODF-S) and Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM).
- ODF-Sustainability includes sustaining behaviour change for safe sanitation, leaving no one behind and addressing gaps, ensuring community toilets for floating populations, and strengthening the capacity of all grassroots functionaries.
- As part of Solid Liquid Waste Management, the Mission is taking up biodegradable waste management, plastic waste management, grey water management, and fecal sludge management.