Question:Consider the following statements regarding NCVET-
- This new body will regulate the functioning of vocational education and training.
- This is constituted through the merger of NCVT and NSDA.
- This will be headed by a chairperson and have only executive members.
Which of the above is/are correct?
(a)1 and 2 only
(b)2 and 3 only
(d)All of the above
- Union cabinet chaired by the prime minister has approved the merger of National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) and National Skill Development Authority (NSDA) “to consolidate fragmented regulatory structures” and improve the outcome of Skill India Mission.
- The merged entity would be called the National Council of Vocational Education and Training (NCVET).It will regulate and bring accountability in the sector responsible for the education and training of more than 15 million students.
- NCVET will regulate the functioning of entities involved in vocational training and education both long-term and short-term. It will be headed by a chairperson and will have executive and non-executive members.
- Primary functions of NCVET will include recognition, regulation, assessment and approval of qualifications developed by different bodies and industry governed sector councils.
NCVT and NSDA:
- The NCVT was a regulatory and assessment body of the long-term skill education space comprising more than 13, 000 industrial training institutions (ITIs), while the NSDA was a policy formulating a body of skill development ministry helping it devise training and collaboration policy for the Skill India Mission.
- NCVT had been in existence for more than four decades as part of the Directorate General of Training, while NSDA is a relatively new body in its origin which came into existence in 2013.