Question: Which city hosted the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Ministerial Meeting held recently?
- Ministerial meeting of Coordinating Bureau of Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) was held on 21st July, 2019 in Caracas, capital of Venezuela.
- The theme of the meet was Promotion and Consolidation of Peace through Respect for International Law.
- India’s Permanent Representative to the United Nation, Syed Akbaruddin represented India.
Issues Raised by India
- The defining challenges of current times – climate change, digital technologies and terrorism.
Suggestion Given by India
- Re-examining the methodology of discussion and decision-making by NAM.
- The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) had its origins in the Bandung Conference of April 1945 In Indonesia, inspired by three world leaders: Nehru of India, Tito of Yugoslavia and Nasser of Egypt.
- Bandung formulated the concept of non-alignment based on the Third World desire not to become involved in the East-West ideological confrontation of the Cold War, and to focus instead on national independence struggles, the alleviation of poverty, and economic development. These principles were adopted at the founding non-aligned summit in Belgrade in 1961.
- Whereas NAM started with 25 members in 1961, it has now expanded to 115 developing member countries which constitute nearly two-thirds of the United Nations.
- The First NAM Summit Conference took place in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, in September 1961.
- In 2018 the Non-Aligned Movement Summit was held in Baku city of Azerbaijan.