Question: A MoU has been signed between Ministry of Corporate Affairs and SEBI for which of the following sector?
(a) App development
(b) Data exchange
(c) Rule making
(d) None of the above
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed between the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) and the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) for data exchange between the two regulatory organizations on June 7, 2019.
- The MoU was signed by K.V.R. Murty, Joint Secretary, MCA and Madhabi Puri Buch, Whole Time Member, SEBI.
- The MoU comes in the wake of increasing need for surveillance in the context of Corporate Frauds affecting important sectors of the economy.
- The private sector plays an increasingly vital role in economic growth so a robust Corporate Governance mechanism becomes the need of the hour.
- The MoU will facilitate the sharing of data and information between SEBI and MCA on an automatic and regular basis.
- It will enable sharing of specific information such as details of suspended companies, delisted companies, shareholding pattern from SEBI and financial statements filed with the Registrar by corporates, returns of allotment of shares, audit reports relating to corporates.
- The MoU will ensure that both MCA and SEBI have seamless linkage for regulatory purposes.
- In addition to regular exchange of data, SEBI and MCA will also exchange with each other, on request, any information available in their respective databases, for the purpose of carrying out scrutiny, inspection, investigation and prosecution.
- A Data Exchange Steering Group also has been constituted for the initiative, which will meet periodically to review the data exchange status and take steps to further improve the effectiveness of the data sharing mechanism.