Question: What is the amount of budget in total allocated to the MGNREGA scheme by Central government in financial year 2018-19?
(a) Rs. 61,084 crores
(b) Rs. 55,084 crores
(c) Rs. 60,084 crores
(d) None of the above
- Central government’s recent allocation of additional 6,084 crores to the prestigious MGNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act.) has brought the total allocation of this fiscal to all time high at Rs. 61,084 crores.
- The budget for MGNREGA witnessed plummet in its budget allocation having nearly 33,000 crores in 2014-15 to over 60,000 crore in 2018-19.
- The Ministry of Rural Development has made major reforms in the scheme to transform it into a resource for sustainable livelihood for poor.
- There have been implementation of geo-tagging of resources, AADHAAR linking of Bank Accounts, DBT transfers for all wages, and material payments and Geographic Information System (GIS) based planning of works to ensure transparency.
- The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, 2005 (MGNREGA) is the largest social security scheme in the world. It aims to enhance security in rural areas by guaranteeing at least 100 days of work to every household.