Question: Consider the following statements in related to 23rd President Cup, Indonesia:
1) MC Mary Kom defeated Australia’s April Franks 5-0 in the 23rd President’s Cup to clinch the gold medal in a one-sided 51kg category
2) The Indian boxers finished their campaign with nine medals, including seven gold and two silver
Choose the correct statement/s:
(a) Only (1)
(b) Only (2)
(c) Both (1) and (2)
(d) None of the above
- MC Mary Kom, the six-time world champion, defeated Australia’s April Franks 5-0 in the 23rd President’s Cup to clinch the gold medal in a one-sided 51kg category final in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia.
- The Indian boxers finished their campaign with nine medals, including seven gold and two silver, helping the contingent win the ‘Best Team’ award.
- The women boxers won four gold medals and the men won two silver along with three gold.
- India’s gold rush continued with Simranjit Kaur being equally impressive in her final against Indonesia’s Asian Games bronze medallist Hasanah Huswatun.
- In 54kg, Assam’s young and bright talent Jamuna Boro did not put a foot wrong in a 5-0 demolition of Italy’s veteran boxer Giulia Lamagna to add to the gold she won at the India Open in May.
- In 48kg, youngster Monika ended the challenge of Endang of Indonesia by a similar scoreline to round off what was a memorable campaign for Indian women pugilists.
- In the men’s event, Neeraj Swami registered a 4-1 win over Macado Jr. Ramel of Phillipines to clinch the gold medal in the men’s 49kg category.
- Ananta Prahlad Chopade also put up a strong performance and defeated Afghanistan’s Rahmani Ramish 5-0 in the final of men’s 52kg category to finish on the top of podium.
- Ankush Dahiya too absolutely outpunched his opponent, Macau’s Leung Kin Fong 5-0 to lay his hands on the glittering gold in 64kg category.