Question: The area of land mass of Majuli Island, stood as in November, 2016 as per satellite imagery?
(a) 502.21 sq km
(b) 520.38 sq km
(c) 524.29 sq km
(d) 556.49 sq km
- On December 29th, 2017, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Protection, Road Transport and Highways and Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari and Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal flagged off regular freight transport vehicles in Majuli (Assam).
- This vehicle will run between Pandu and Dhubri via National Waterway-2 (NW-2).
- On this occasion Union Minister Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone for protection work to save the Majuli Island of Assam from flood and erosion.
- Based on the recommendation of a committee of experts constituted by the Ministry of Water Resources, protection work was started in different phases in January 2004 for the rescue of the island from flood and erosion in Brahmaputra Board.
- These works include the construction and strengthening of embankment on the river banks, laying of RCC screens and construction of obstructions.
- Apart from this, Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone for construction of Brahmaputra Board office in Majuli.
- The estimated cost of construction of this office is Rs. 40 crores.
- Majuli Island is surrounded by the vast Brahmaputra River in the south and Kherkatia, Suti, Louit Suti and Subansiri rivers in the north.
- Based on the data received from the satellite, the area of Majuli Island land was 502.21 sq. Km in 2004. It was 524.29 sq km in November 2016.