Question: Which Southeast European country is named as the Republic of Northern Macedonia recently?
- On 11th January 2019, Macedonia is named as the Republic of Northern Macedonia. The name change aims at ending a twenty-seven year dispute with Greece, which has its own region called Macedonia.
- Earlier total of 81 deputies in the 120-seat parliament voted in favour of renaming the Balkan country as Republic of North Macedonia & this year Prime Minister Zoran Zaev won by two-thirds majority.
Facts about Macedonia dispute:
- Greece’s objections forced the UN (United Nation’s) to refer to the new country as “the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia”.
- Athens also vetoed Macedonia’s attempt to join NATO in 2008 – and blocked its EU (European Union) membership ambitions.
- Since 1991, many suggestions have been proposed but rejected.