Question: Which of the following city became the first one in world to implement 24*7 pollution charge zone?
(d) New York
- On 8 April 2019, London became the first city in the world to implement a 24*7 Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).
- Ultra Low Emission Zone is a special status given to a region in order to reduce air pollution. As a part of environment conservation measures, it will charge an entry fee for vehicles not meeting the emission standards.
- ULEZ is next stage to clean city’s air following T-charge — an extra charge for highly polluting vehicles in the city center — introduced in February 2017.
- The zone will cover the same area as the existing Congestion Charge — collected from drivers in the city center — until 2021.
- The ULEZ is set to be expanded to cover the entire area between the North and South Circular roads in 2021.
- These vital preventive measures resulted to fall of vehicles (around 11,000 per day) entering the zone and there has been a significant 55 per cent increase in emissions-compliant vehicles in the zone.
- It is worth to state that Air pollution costs Euro 3.7 billion to the capital every year, and Euro 20 billion to the country every year.
By Amar Mani Upadhyay