Question: In which district of Jammu and Kashmir, Kishanganga Project is being constructed on river Kishanganga, the subsidiary of Jhelum River?
- On March 19th, 2018, electricity equipment maker Public Sector Company Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) announced the launch of the first unit of Kishanganga hydropower project in Jammu and Kashmir.
- This first unit has 110 MW power generation capacity.
- This project is being constructed at Kishanganga, a subsidiary of Jhelum in Bandipur district.
- This 330 MW project is being developed by NHPC Limited.
- This project will produce 13,500 lakh units of clean electricity annually.
- The work of the remaining two units is also going to be completed soon.
- Equipments were supplied from BHEL‘s Bhopal, Jhansi, Rudrapur and Bangalore manufacturing units for this project, while completion of this project was done by Northern Region Department of the company.
- It is known that BHEL has so far made 31 hydro power plants in Jammu and Kashmir with a total production capacity of 1257 MW.